Your company’s Facebook page is a critical piece in your social media marketing strategy. Do you have a special offer or some exclusive content you want to be sure your Facebook fans will see? The new Promoted Posts feature from Facebook may be just the ticket…for a few bucks.
Facebook’s new “Promote” feature allows users to pay to promote important posts in the news feeds of their fans. As your page administrator, you can decide how much you want to pay to promote one of your posts depending on your marketing need. The typical budget is $5 to $7 per promoted post. A promoted post will appear more prominently in the newsfeed of your page’s followers and is labeled “sponsored.”
The feature was first tested in New Zealand in May, then expanded to a limited number of users in 20 countries. The Promoted Post option is currently available only to Pages with more than 400 likes. Facebook is calling Promoted Posts a “test,” so there’s no telling whether it will become a permanent feature.
What Types of Page Posts can you Promote?
Every business has different goals, and you should promote the posts you’d most like to reach a greater number of the people who like your Page and their friends. Here are some types of content you might consider promoting:
- Photos and videos: People tend to respond to bright, simple and attention-grabbing images, particularly of people using your product or service. For example, you could promote a photo of new products you want to sell. Keep in mind that your Page's profile picture will show up next to your promoted post so everyone knows it’s connected to your business.
- Offers: Promoting an offer will help increase the number of people who see and claim it. This will help bring more people to your business and increase engagement on your Page.
- Exclusive events or news: Promoting posts with exclusive content gets people to talk about your Page and encourages them to share your posts with friends. This could be a daily special on the menu, an in-store event or the launch of an upcoming product.
- Questions: Promoting a question tells people that you value their opinion. For example, you could promote a question asking people to vote on a new product or service, which encourages people to have a direct impact on your business decisions.
How do You Promote a Post?
If you are the administrator of your Facebook page it’s easy to promote a post.
- Create a post on your Facebook page as you normally would. If your page has more that 400 fans, you will see the new “Promote” option to the left of the Post button.
- Enter your post details.
- Click on the Promote dropdown button and set your desired budget. The budget you set is a lifetime budget and not a daily budget.
- Click save.
- Go to any post you've recently created on your Page timeline.
- At the bottom the post, just below where people can add a comment, you'll see the Promote button. Click on it.
- From the drop-down, set your budget based on how many people you want to reach.
- Click Save.
Visit the Promoted Post help page on Facebook for a useful video and more information.
Do you think promoted posts offer a value greater than the free organic and viral post placement?
How could you use Facebook Promoted Posts in your social media marketing strategy?
Image courtesy of FreeDigitalPhotos.net